Thursday 5 January 2012

Roast Pork

Photobucket
Don't forget the apple sauce!

This headbanger has yet to meet anyone who DOESN'T like a Roast Dinner. (Actually make that LOVE a Roast Dinner). They may exist but I sure as Johnnie Walker Red haven't met one in this corner of West Wales. They are a great tradition here in Britain and cooked every sunday as a family meal. I have wonderful memories of sunday dinner in my grandmothers house, hanging on her hem for bits of pork crackling/rind or chicken skin. And the kitchen aromas! Truly fabulous!
The dinner in the above photo is roast pork with potatoes (roasted and mashed), swede, parsnip, broccoli, Yourkshire pudding, stuffing and apple sauce. And all credit must go to She Who Must Be Obeyed™ (my better half, Nicola) because I goofed off to play videogames this time. (I do help in the kitchen usually).
There is quite a skill to cooking a sunday roast because of the many foods you must have on the go at the same time. Timing is everything unless you want to be eating the vegetables an hour before the meat. To be quite honest before I left home to start out under my own steam, I never dreamt I would ever be able to cook a roast dinner. It seemed very daunting because everytime I entertained thoughts of making one, my mind was filled with the memories of numerous pots and pans in my grandmothers house, all bubbling with different veggies, whilst the meat was basted at regular intervals. It looked like a culinary mayhem and I was initially put off.
But not for long. Hunger is a marvelous thing.

Music to eat to ~ Disturbed, Robert Plant, Alice Cooper

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.