Thursday 14 March 2013

Clive Burr Lives On


Drum solo in Reading, 1982

Clive Burr passed away yesterday at the criminally young age of 56. Sleep well Clive, happy knowing you made Iron Maiden that bit extra special. I have been a Maiden fan since the beginning. Their 1980 debut "Iron Maiden" record was one of the first albums I ever owned and the band have been with me since I was 9 years old, making them feel like distant friends who accompanied me to school and who were around when I got my first girlfriend so this news was sadder than most.
Clive was an awesome drummer (check out a solo above) and those first three Maiden albums (Iron Maiden, Killers and The Number of the Beast) were simply stunning pieces of work. There isn't a bad track on any of them. Not one rubbish song, there aren't many bands who can claim that. (In fact besides the mighty Maiden I can't name any.)

Cliff Burton, Ronnie James Dio, Dimebag Darrel; it looks like God just needed a drummer.

 photo Burr_zps85605712.jpg
Clive Burr 8 March 1957 ~ 12 March 2013